CLEAR-View Airborne By Cris Johnson
Throughout your show, you’ve paused occasionally to take
a quick drink of water from an everyday, garden-variety clear
water bottle. Finally, at one point, you again take the water
bottle and pour some water into a glass. You let go of the glass
and it FLOATS in the air as you continue to pour water into it!
The audience is shocked beyond belief!
Most of us have seen the Airborne effect and loved it.
Most of the marketed versions that I’ve used have several
- Most of the Airborne props use a dark, colored wine glass
to hide the gimmick inside.
of the Airborne props use a wine bottle…which is completely
inconsistent with most performers’ characters!
- Most of the Airborne props on the market are cheaply built
and fall apart quickly…not good if you’re a working
- Most of the Airborne props are unreliable and either don’t
work at all or fitfully at best!
- Since most of the Airborne effects use wine bottles, they
are not suitable for kids’ shows…and if you believe
the adults in your audiences don’t mind you pulling
out a wine bottle in front of children, you’re only
After struggling with several versions over the
years, I had to believe there was a way to “build a
||I’m Cris Johnson, writer
of the Cause
& Effects weekly blog. I desperately wanted a more
reliable, natural-looking version of Airborne that I could
use in front of kids’ audiences. I want and need a LOT
from my props. After traveling all across North America
delivering 250 shows a year, I know that my props need to
be reliable! I don’t need some piece of garbage
falling apart on me after a dozen shows!
Here’s where my wife Libby enters the picture. She’s
patient, understanding and supportive, but she’s not a magician
and doesn’t want to be!
What she DOES want is for me to have GOOD props! Since I make
well over $100,000 per year performing, she knows my reputation
depends on it! She's also good at building things, having built
a wall for our kitchen and the most gorgeous wooden chess board
I’ve ever seen.
After listening to me complain about the Airborne problem,
she asked me what I REALLY wanted. As I explained it, I wanted
- Since I’m mostly a school show guy, I wanted to do
the effect with a non-alcoholic bottle. (Even those ‘designer’
glass water bottles LOOK like alcohol.)
- I wanted to use water so I would not have to fuss with
carbonated colored soda OR the mixing of food coloring and
- Ideally I wanted to do it with a regular water bottle,
as for me it was the most natural. (Think in terms of your
character…even for adult shows, my character doesn’t
look ‘right’ with a wine bottle on stage.)
- Related to #3, it’d be GREAT if I could do this with
a CLEAR bottle.
- I wanted the gimmicked bottle to NOT be cheaply hot-glued
- I wanted the damn trick to WORK!
After a lot of
experimenting, she’s created a FANTASTIC version of Airborne!
Here are just a few wonderful advantages
of this version:
- The bottle really is CLEAR! This adds
immensely to the mystery and represents a giant
leap forward in the evolution of the
- Building Airborne out of a store-bought water
bottle means the audience will accept
it as innocent.
- The gimmicks are extremely well-built securely
into the bottle, meaning it’s
built to last!
- Two of the bottle’s gimmicks are each
HAND-MADE – no hot-glued, store-bought
garbage here - meaning this bottle really was
built from the “ground up” for maximum
effect and reliability! (Yes, my
wife really does put each bottle together herself!)
- The glass itself uses a new, innovative
way to ‘hook-up’ to the
bottle for the floating. This improvement makes
getting “in and out” of the effect
With every new magic effect, the ad copy often reads
as “too good to be true.” With that in mind,
here are about the only two disadvantages to this version of Airborne:
- Since the bottle is built from a grocery store-bought water
bottle, the bottle itself is made of thin plastic (everyone
is “going green” these days!), meaning you’ll
simply need to store it in the sturdy packing container we
provide to ensure the prop lasts.
- The gimmick is securely mounted into the bottle and cannot
be transferred to any other bottle. If you’re looking
to do Airborne with your own wine bottle, this version is
not for you.
The bottom line is this: I’m a working
pro and place a LOT of demands on my equipment. My needs and expectations
are HIGH. My wife designed this version simply for me and after
I found how much smoother and reliable her version operates, I
twisted her arm and begged her to make this product available
for the magic community!
We also wanted to release a version of this effect with a lot
of extras to enhance your enjoyment as well as the longevity of
in mind, here’s what you’ll receive
with CLEAR-View Airborne:
- Water bottle with well-built, durable gimmicks
- Gimmicked glass with new, innovative ‘hook-up’
- Sturdy round packaging tube to store and transport
- 11-page manuscript detailing the evolution
of the prop, all of the advantages of the design,
handling and care, and much more
- Performance & instructional video on CD-ROM
for your computer. (This is NOT a Bob Kohler/L&L
quality video – it’s simply me in
my house demonstrating the effect and explaining
the handling. You might even hear our new puppy
barking in the background!)
You’ll LOVE performing CLEAR-View Airborne!
Your Investment: $99.95